With round two of the Street Series run and won at Queensland’s premier drag racing facility at the weekend, ‘mad March’ at Willowbank Raceway is well and truly underway.
The month of March will host no less than four events at the Ipswich venue, with two rounds of the Street Series (1 March and 29 March), and back-to-back events with round two of the Queensland Drag Racing Championship (QDRC – 15 March) and the ever-popular Pro Street Shootout (22 March), while in the background preparations continue for the return of Easter’s Top Fuel and Top Alcohol racing spectacular, set to hit the track across Good Friday and Easter Saturday (April 18 and 19).
Set to turn heads on 22 March will be the all-out Pro Street war promised by the Australian Pro Street Association, with a wide variety of impressive vehicles and racers set to go head to head.
“The Pro Street Shootout will bring the toughest 10.5 Outlaw, Pro Street, True Street and Pro Bikes in Australia together to battle it out ‘old school’ across the Willowbank Raceway drag strip on 22 March,” said APSA event director Johnny Habib.
“Points and egos are on the line, with fast and furious battles virtually guaranteed – from turbo versus nitrous versus blown to Holden versus Ford, Compak versus V8 and racer versus racer, fierce rivalries are the name of the game.
“All the while, these amazing machines are almost all ‘street cars’, having at one stage of their life rolled off a car production line with years of innovation and modifications transforming them into the grossly overpowered show cars you see today with times and speeds to rival the best purpose-built drag cars.
“Big burnouts, giant wheelstands and competitive racing are what it is all about, and that is why this form of racing is fast becoming a drag racing forum of choice around Australia for racers and spectators alike.”
Before the Pro Street Shootout hits the track however, round two of the 2014 QDRC will be taking to the Ipswich quarter-mile, including the debut performance of the new for 2014 QDRC Outlaws bracket which will pit supercharged vehicles against turbo and nitrous powered machines for the first time.
“The QDRC is all about celebrating our local heroes and with a number of changes introduced following recent racer consultation meetings, February’s opening round really delivered for racers and spectators alike,” said Willowbank Raceway CEO Tony Manson.
“Now as we look down the barrel of round two which will host the debut of the new Donnelly Blasting Services QDRC Outlaws bracket the excitement is palpable – pitting a range of forced induction machines against each other, this bracket has huge potential to increase excitement, competition and diversity which can only mean great things, and I for one can’t wait to see them on track come March 15.”
For more on the Pro Street Shootout, QDRC or the Street Series, go to www.willowbankraceway.com.au
Willowbank Raceway is Queensland’s premier drag racing facility, located 45 minutes from Brisbane or just a short drive from Ipswich, offering a year-round program of events for the entire family. For more information including a full event calendar, please visit www.willowbankraceway.com.au
EVENT INFORMATION: QUEESLAND DRAG RACING CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND TWO: 15 MARCH 2014
Racing from QDRC SuperComp, QDRC CompBike, Donnelly Blasting Services QDRC Outlaws, Knijff Earthmoving Modified, Powercruise Super Sedan, Prime Signs/Speed Elec Super Street, Modified Bike, Junior Dragster, Super Gas
• Gates open 9.00am
• Qualifying from 1.00pm to 5.00pm
• Racing from 5.00pm
• Please note times are subject to change dependent on number of entries
• Adults - $20.00
• Students with ID -$18.00
• Children 13 and under gain free entry
UPCOMING EVENT INFORMATION: PRO STREET SHOOTOUT – SATURDAY 22 MARCH 2014
Featuring racing from: Outlaw 10.5, Outlaw Extreme, Pro Street Blown, Pro Street Unblown, Mod Street Blown, Mod Street Unblown, Radial Outlaw, X275, True Street, Pro Street Bike, DYO
• Gates Open 7.00am
• Qualifying from 10.00am
• Racing from 2.30pm
• Adults: $25.00
• Students with ID: $20.00
• Children 13 and under gain free entry
What to expect:
• True Street Cars: ‘full steel’ cars which are mostly street registered and must be driven back to the pits (rather than towed) after completing their pass. Most of these cars run the quarter-mile in the nine second bracket.
• X275 and Radial Outlaw: Over-powered street configured cars running huge power with no wheelie bars and running on street tyres only.
• Pro Street Bike: Street configured bikes pushing the limits with gorgeous paint, chrome, extended swing arms, fat tyres and incredible power, using highly modified production engines and power adders such as nitrous, superchargers and turbos.
• Modified Street Cars: This class boasts standard chassis and standard suspension cars but with enormous horsepower, running in the low seven second range over the quarter mile at close to 300kph. Ever wondered how far you can push a production configured car? Mod Street is all about testing those limits.
• Pro Street Cars: Gorgeous ‘tubbed’ 2500HP three quarter chassis monsters. Big tyres, gorgeous paint work and awesome launches.
• 10.5 Outlaw Cars: No rules ‘Outlaws’, these mad men want to put as much horsepower as possible through a 10.5 inch tyred animal, many boast more than 3000 horsepower and run into the six second bracket.
• Outlaw Extreme: this new exhibition class is a ‘no bars held’ class with minimal rules being swinging doors and no Nitro fuel, including blown doorslammers, turbo pro mods and anything else with swinging doors
Winners from The Weekends Street Series Below